skip to main content

TMHS Site Council

TMHS Site Council Mission Statement:

"The TMHS Site Council is an advisory group focused on improving our school

to better meet the needs of our students while providing a forum for enhancing

communication between our school, parents, and the community."

 

Come join us!  Site Council meetings are held the first Thursday of the month from 5:30-7:00 pm in the TMHS library.

ROLLING MINUTES

Most recent minutes are at the top


Joint High School Site Council Meeting

11/4/2019

YDHS Commons

Share one thing enjoyed about school so far....

  • Kristin Garot, principal - recent orientation for new students
  • Cynthia Horwitz, JDHS parent - AASG in Palmer
  • Scott Grant, JDHS teacher - raising expectations for students and having them rise to meet them
  • Kevin Allen, School Board Member - learning about school board, in 2nd year
  • Cheryl Wittig, parent TMHS - no middle schoolers at home
  • Dan Larson, TMHS principal, - enjoying each minute
  • Carin Smolin, CTE for all high schools - so many community resources
  • Lynn Van Kirk, TMHS site council - honor fest at TM
  • Chuck Van Kirk, TMHS site council - super, super site council (k-12)
  • Jowielle Corpiuz, JDHS freshman - helping out in assembly
  • Ava Brown - JDHS senior - planning homecoming
  • Elin Antaya =- sophomore JHDS - oceanography, travel with NOSB to Sitka for Whale Fest
  • Devin - social studies teacher at YDHS - emphasis on community building
  • Melissa McCormick - JDHS site council - screenagers movie will be at all three high schools
  • Alisha Marriott - after school coordinator - excited to see how generous students and staff are with their time after school, couple of clubs started after school
  • Brenda Taylor - JDHS site council - math sharing older and younger students
  • Gail Morgan - TMHS site council parent - hosting kids (from Ketchikan) 
  • Conway - student support specialist - feels like home - so much love, smiles
  • Cassidy - student at YDHS - being involved in after school clubs
  • Max - student at YDHS
  • Marna Schwarz - JDHS parent at site council

Calendar hasn’t come out yet, so let’s move on.

Bathroom passes

The issue, as presented by JDHS Student Council: guidelines for bathroom access are inconsistent, ranging from students earning extra credit for unused passes to being marked absent if they leave during class time to use the bathroom. Student Council took a resolution to AASG. Another school at AASG brought up a similar issue. AASG offered unanimous approval that students should be able to go to the bathroom when they need without academic consequences.

Issue will proceed to the School Board.  

Unified Football and Cheer Team 

  • Successful in that the team made the playoffs.  That’s a big step for the program. First home football playoff game.  Lost to the team that ended up taking state.  

  • At the end of the season, the players had to come together for the sake of the team. In the beginning of season, was more “I don’t trust you because you're from this other school.”  

  • Was nice as a spectator to not have it be so contentious in the stands between schools, nice to be united in rooting for Juneau, in general.  

  • Other students said they liked cross-town rivalry.

TMHS update 

Because administration is turning over at the end of the school year, TMHS is doing AdvancEd accreditation in March (early by a year)  If not approved/certified, universities do not have to accept high school courses/degree. Important validation to be sure that curriculum is approved and connects with national common core and state standards.  Visitation will be in March so much of in-service days, etc are geared around getting ready for that visit. Will be graded on climate connectedness, curriculum. As a result of the process, TMHS will continue accreditation and build network among SE AK schools.  Feels good to do the process - now feel aligned with outside and consistent within. Generating stuff that is really relevant because of March visit - feels real and important. Dan’s aha: we, as a district are light years ahead of the rest of the state in terms of technology and google classroom.  

Many JSD principals are on AdvancEd visitation teams across Alaska. Doing school visits is interesting.  You get to pick things that you like and bring them back. 

YDHS and JDHS took waiver and will do the accreditation next year.  Ms. Casperson is on the state team. The system is changing so YDHS and JDHS will wait this year out and do it next year after some of the reviewing kinks are worked out.  

Question: Is there an agreement about gate fees at schools?  

For example, the fee at JDHS for volleyball was 2.5 x the fee at TMHS.  

The Athletic Activity Council routinely goes over activity accounts and is working towards consistency across the district.  

Some background, historically, staff gets in free to events. Football became an exception this year as that program lacks full funding. As a result, the JSD started charging all staff at the gate to raise revenues. 

Raising money is difficult and fees are sometimes dependent on that.  Depends on each team and how their booster club is doing raising money.  Varies year to year too. Depends on the coach as well; if you’ve been around for years, have lots of people to rely upon.  Finances are really impacted by playoff games - huge expenses are incurred!!

YDHS update 

Orientation, welcomed 20 new students.  Involved students in the planning of orientation.  Super successful.  

Just wrapped up workshop - super intensive, out in the community.  Get one credit in 2 weeks. Very hands on. Very much enjoyed and appreciated by teachers.

After school clubs: English, robotics, knitting, Those are bleeding into the school day as well.

School and staff have been working very hard at making restorative justice an active part of the school day.  Have been working with a trainer from California. How to work with discipline and student behavior so that all members of the school community are growing and learning.  

Coming up - community involvement day.  Have expanded it recently. In two weeks, will be the community involvement day.  Will be another round of workshops in the spring. Very ready to look at how to change the schedule of the day and year to make it different

JDHS update

Reaction to the first ALICE drill in which a lot of people “died.”  Some teachers didn’t listen to where the shooter was. Freshmen didn’t know what to do when in classes with upperclassmen.  Students don’t know how to do drills. Have heard that TMHS is more successful in its ALICE drills.

The school year has gone really well outside of that.  Very successful assembly. Good school spirit. More interclass relationships, especially in the first month of school - seniors helping freshmen.  No issues with JCCS students this year.  

25 students attended day long Sources of Strength training.  Making a positive effect on the whole. Will move now to weekly, rather than every other week.  TMHS is not as strong with Sources of Strength because the JYS adults are housed at JDHS.  

Really good year - lots of positive interactions with teachers.  More communications among teachers. Feel like we know the other teachers and the other students.  Getting to watch students grow up.  

Lots of new teachers at JDHS.  They said it’s a good adjustment for them, they’re liking it.  

Transitions among and between high schools. 

Any feedback about the process of moving between schools.  Coming from JDHS to YDHS - it was easy. Connected right away with teachers at YDHS. 

History - a few years ago there was a lot of movement.  Students going back and forth between JD and TM, students following boyfriend/girlfriends, following teams.  Now that’s really diminished. 

If you want to transfer, have to show that you can have good behavior/grades/attendance for one semester.  Dan and Paula work together. System is pretty black and white. Can appeal the next semester to meet the goals and reapply. 

Thank you to YDHS for modeling the importance of restorative justice and circles and posting circle guidelines on the wall.  YDHS should get credit for the number of students who catch up on credit at YDHS and then reunify with the TM or JD to graduate.  

In other sports, there’s a full layout period - full year you have to wait out before you can play with the team in the new school.  ASAA is great to work with.  

Dually enrolled schools.  Homebridge - if student is enrolled in Homebridge, the emergency notification was a bit off.  Can only be enrolled in PowerSchool in one school or another. This is a software issue - solutions are being investigated.   

Other topics:

Any more feedback about Bark program?  JDS put out a new set of FAQs with information on the main site.  There will be more information from the superintendent at the next school board meeting next week.  

  • FAQs were a bit awkward :(  Wish they’d been cleaned up a bit.

  • Effect from Bark at TMHS.  Self-harm from another school in Minnesota and in house.  Kids that were going to hurt themselves were discovered in time.

  • Most hits were coming from the approved novels in AP Lit.  As the filters are adjusted, fewer flags are popping.

Find Your Fire workshops are usually off campus to make them feel safer.  Some students didn’t feel comfortable about being honest about vaping because they were told by coaches that it would have to be mandated reporting on campus.  Any suggestions about where the workshops could be held instead? Library? Zach Gordon? (had a good turnout there.)   Could you limit attendance and not let mandated reporters attend?  

At the school board, they strengthened the definition of nicotine to include vaping.  Lots of stories about how it’s a problem at MS level. Lots of info about how vaping happens...through cords of hoodie, highlighter, etc.  If you have ideas about where to hold it, 

July is an ASAA moratorium month.  No seasons are active in July. No one is under contract in July, so that could be a good month to hold vaping workshop with more participation and less fear.  


Meeting adjourned at 6:18 pm.

Next joint site council meeting April 2 at TMHS.  



TMHS Site Council Meeting

October 3, 2019

Meeting Minutes

  • Smallest meeting in ten years (7 attendees) revised: 10
    • Many members had aged out the last two years
  • Student Report:
    • Blood drive next week 
    • Freshman elections went well
    • Constitutional convention occurred last friday, high attendance
  • School Board report:
    • Elections for school board just concluded
      • Two new members, two are leaving
      • At the meeting on the 12th there will be roles divided( president, vice-president ext) and site councils reviewed. 
  • At this point, no officer seats assigned. 
    • Close to 22 seats( including students and staff) in the site council by-laws adopted at the beginning of the school
  • New Business:
    • How site councils should be run, handbook issued and “updated” by School Board
      • Work under a centralized system with the state
    • Decrease in attendance at Super Saturday Schools
      • Hoping to have more students attend after parent-teacher and more parent involvement 
    • Working on increasing teacher-family engagement (communication!) 
      • Looking at data for target families to see what could be improved and to make strides to connect with parents 
        • Halloween night gathering 
        • Opening communication with parents and guardians of struggling students to better support them 
        • Communicating with families in order to better explain 
      • Professional Development-
        • “My Ice-berg is Changing” a book being used to help deal with change ( ex. Admin change next year) and how to react better to change
    • Accreditation in the Spring
      • 4 people for two days
      • Elliott Tool-
        • A tool being used to gather data during new accreditation 
      • Belief in aligning well with standards 
    • Various events occurring throughout October
    • Lots of students falling asleep in class
      • Spending a lot of time on technology at night
      • Over committing/ not understanding the time regiors of classes
    • Having teachers step in to sub classes during pep period
      • Lots of teacher support 
      • Better sub-plans
      • Has there ever been a study for how many subs per school per day?
        • Yes, conclusion has come that there is not a great fill rate for empty classrooms
    • Walk around with _____( missed name)
      • Viewed new teachers teaching lessons
    • New system that monitors student accounts (BARC)
      • Watch for key words and photographs that flag inappropriate behaviors
        • A lot of reports have been linked to curriculum and english lit classes
          • Most concerning reports that were flagged were of self harm 
        • Using it to teach real world applications and real world repercussions 
          • Teachers like not having to actively monitor screens during class, are able to connect more
          • Students are pretty indifferent 
          • Additional program allows parents to monitor apps and see not just what is sent out but also what is received
            • Some programs offered by carrier networks can be deleted but this lets the parent/guardian know if anything is being changed with the program
    • Less vape devices have been confiscated this year then last year
      • A video was sent out this past week about the effects of vape on the body
      • Lots of new found fear with students about the unknown 


TMHS Site Council Meeting

September 5, 2019

5:30-7:00 pm

 

Attendance

  • Kristy Germain
  • Devin Moorehead
  • Lori Klein
  • Gail Moorehead
  • Nate Creel
  • Adrianna Northcutt
  • Ann Stepetin
  • Sheryl Wittig
  • Beth McKibben
  • Kevin Allen
  • Shannon Kelly
  • Martin Stepetin

 

Meeting Minutes

 

  • Cycling back through accreditation (every 5 years)
    • Spring date
    • National teams, university input, 
      • Prior to becoming accredited no school in district had been accredited for ten years
  • Cut paper budget by 75% to afford new machines (aka computers)
  • Current enrollment ~690 right where projected
  • Outside Paticitioner (forget to get name)
    • No common recycling bins
    • Convenient because of back of school recycling bins
    • Problem:
      • Dropping dirty bins, will not be accepted by the place
      • Many organizations working on fulfilling the goal
      • Do not want us to use the recycle bins behind school
      • How to rinse the products out

Business partnership?

Partner with student programs?

Ask JD? How are they using them? What programs?

Only recycle aluminum and plastic bottles?

  • Make an announcement during events to help raise awareness
    • First National Guardian's School in the State!! Please recycle. 
  • Greatest support for the school, for sustainability and success, is parents 
  • Parental rumor: will the two schools combine?
    • School Board response:
      • Voted for future investigation into educational benefit and cost of combing, vote failed. 
          • One for, rest against
    • Ideal size for high school (from a federal report, date unknown), 500-700(?) students 
    • Same schedule between the two schedules, only difference is extension
      • Thunder Mountain has an extension in the middle of the morning three day a week
      • Juneau-Douglas has it first thing in the morning on the same day (think old-fashioned homeroom).
  • What are the prime differences between Thunder Mountain and Juneau Douglas?
    • Parking!- Larson
    • Ever evolving due to the ability to evolve. 
      • Lots of community interest in developing the area around the school
    • All curriculum is shared between schools
    • Does not have career-tech ed at ™
      • Does have a business class, woodworking, culinary ed, digital tech,
    • Uses federal seed money to develop new programs 
    • More alike than different 
  • School board report:
    • AUGUST Meeting-
      • Tlingit language program 
      • Strategic plan rolls out in 2020, needs to make a new one
        • Reviews of success reports on the strategic plans are open to the public on the school board website
      • Super School board meeting wants plenty of community input (September 23 6:30pm)
      • Reviewing Bridgit and her contract for superintendent 
      • Looking at redistricting elementary school, especially at how the districting between the developing property on Peterson Hill will affect Riverbend and Auke Bay
      • Guaranteed two new members in October, also electing new members officers that month
  • Reviewing the site council by-laws
    • Very predictable
    • Larson is retiring this year (not district announced)
      • Many filtering process for new hire, community meet and greet, staff meet and greet, student board (run by student government?)
  • Student Government rep report
    • Freshman elections
    • Year/goal planning 
  • Homecoming
    • Everybody welcome
    • Joint school effort due to joined football team
    • No royalty this year due to the suddenness of the dance ( September 13th)
        • Royalty is not a common enough tradition
  • Sports are combining, helping build school unity
    • Wrestling, tennis, DDF, academic decathlon, football, football cheer
      • The sports that do not have as many varied school participants were not as publically supported as joint, so possibly not as 
      • Hockey is not a joint team because there that would not make an even number of teams for the new bracket that had been recently developed
        • Luke Adams is the new athletic director and JD hockey team’s head coach
        • Assortment of new teachers
  • Over 1:1 with computer access to students 
  • Panel with just graduated seniors after their first semester at college. Would gather current seniors in the auditorium to listen to what they would say. 
    • During the first few years kept hearing back about not knowing how to use or how much technology is being used in the classroom at college. This is not being reported in recent years due to increase of technology being implemented in high school.
  • Parent help tip:
    • Post meeting minutes/meeting dates onto website 
      • Larson stated that this will be addressed promptly

Joint High School Site Councils

Minutes

Monday, April 1, 2019

at Juneau-Douglas High School: Yadaa.at Kalé

5-7pm



  1. Introductions

a.                   Brenda Taylor - CHAIR JDHS

b.                   Paul Kelly - BOE Rep to JDHS Site Council

c.                   Dan DeBartolo - BOE Rep to THMS

d.                   Cynthia Horwitz - JDHS

e.                   Linnea Lentfer - JDHS Student

f.                    Elin Antaya - JDHS Student

g.                   Portia Carney - JDHS Student

h.                   Jennifer Knaggs - JDHS

i.                     Kim McNamara - JDHS

j.                     Carin Smolin - District CTE Director

k.                   Phuong Christian - JDHS

l.                     Vaughn Hammond - TMHS

m.                 Lynn Van Kirk - TMHS

n.                   Ed Becker - YDHS

o.                   Cameron Kookesh - YDHS Student

p.                   Sean Cone - JDHS

q.                   Chris Cairns - JESS rep

r.                    Scott Grant - JDHS

s.                    Becky Roth - ROCK JUNEAU

t.                    Michelle Strickler - TMHS

u.                   Dan Larson - TMHS Principal

v.                   Avery Hepdon - YDHS Student

w.                 Jasmine James - JDHS

x.                   Amber Frommherr - TMHS

  1. Student Councils’ and Principals’ Reports

 .                     JDHS

i.Joint Student Council Meeting with TMHS and School Board

        1. Good conversation about student engagement
        2. JDHS Student Council gave verbal invitations to School Board to do shadowing - BOE Members shadowing a student for part of the day (Peter Sidmore will send email to whole school board email)

a.                   YDHS - open to it (Steve Whitney is the rep for YDHS - Site Council meets during the 1st monday of the month at 11:15am)

i.Best days are Tues, Wed, or Thurs

b.                   JDHS - trying to arrange

c.                   TMHS - also trying to arrange (no TMHS student to speak to progress)  Principal Larson said that School Board visits TM frequently already.

        1. Upcoming events/Topics -

 .                     Safe Driving Week - buckle up campaign

a.                   Prom

b.                   Budget (Trying to do letter writing with student body: “The budget affects me…”)

ii.School-wide (Assistant Principal’s additions)

        1. Finished Course Selection
        2. Planning for school-wide celebration for accepting our Tlingit Name
        3. State Testing is happening
        4. House Build program went to Hawaii to do Habitat for Humanity

a.                   TMHS

 .School-wide

        1. Scheduling - doing as much as can until the budget comes out
        2. State Testing
        3. Music Fest, Spring Sports

b.                   YDHS

 .Steve Whitney is the rep for YDHS - Site Council meets during the 1st Monday of the month at 11:15am

i.Student reports:

        1. Quarter 4 starting - very welcoming environment
        2. Teachers and students are really nice (report from new student)
        3. Smaller means more one-on-one time with teachers

ii.Teacher additions to reports:

        1. Spring Workshop (week long intensives) was amazing!

 .                     Mural at Zach Gordon

a.                   Other sections did overnights at Methodist Camp

        1. Very difficult struggle to have Principal shared between YDHS, Montessori, and HomeBRIDGE.  She is stretched too thin.
  1. Housekeeping/upcoming district-wide meetings

 .                     School Board Meetings - April 9, TMHS, 4:30 Work Session, Regular Session 6:00pm

a.                   Save Our State/Fund our Future Rally - Sat., April 13, 12-1:00pm Capitol Steps

b.                   Baccalaureate - Tues, May 21, 6pm at TMHS (students arrive at 5:30pm, wear cap and gowns)

 .Next step is advertising

        1. Thru FCAs at the schools
        2. Then word of mouth and social media - so pass along details

i.Food is potluck finger foods from parents/families

c.                   Graduations - Sunday, May 26:

 . YDHS 1:00pm at Centennial Hall

i.TMHS 4:00pm at TMHS

ii.JDHS 7:00pm at JDHS

d.                   Safe Grad - May 26, 10:00pm - 2:19am at UAS Rec Center

 .Next planning meeting: Thursday, April 4 at 5:30pm at TMHS

        1. Any ideas on parking shuttles - send email to safe grad
        2. Looking for old vinyl banners to paint on
  1. School Board Report

 .                     Dan Debartolo for the overview

 .Wrapped up regular calendared budget items last week (End of March)

i.Budget sent to the City to be approved at April 1 meeting

ii.Next meeting is Tues, April 9

        1. Spotlight on success is the National Merit Scholarship finalists
        2. JCSS annual contract
        3. Capital Improvement priorities
        4. Executive Session on collective bargaining
  1. Discussion/New Business

i.Contract negotiations - JESS, JEA, JSAA

        1. JESS - Chris Cairns - Speaking about new collaborative process - interest based bargaining.  Positive so far.

a.                   Non-Economic issues separated from Economic issues

b.                   Rescheduled Economic for April 23rd - Hopeful for a Tentative Agreement at that point

        1. JEA - doing interest based bargaining

 .                     Per Dan Larson reporting from the Cabinet Side (not JEA)

i.Plugging away through the collaborative model

ii.Going back to the table April 16-17

        1. JSAA - short statement from Jim Thompson

 .                     Agreed on the dates, just beginning

ii.Budget Report - at CBJ and state level (change can only happen if funding changes come into play)

        1. BOE

 .                     Assumptions from BOE

 .ADM (Avg Daily Membership) - looking at a decrease of 77 from this year

i.No increase (or decrease) to BSA (Base Student Allocation)

              1. Assume will remain the same as this school year as per legislation passed spring 2018 for FY19 and FY20. The time for a veto on that signed budget has passed; would take an active legislative effort to amend at this point
              2. Hopeful that House and Senate will keep the budgeted BSA the same

a.                   Changes made through the zero-based budgeting process

 .Page 4 of the attached docs: White, Green, and Red sections

i.White - budgeted, Green - hopeful, Red - doubtful

ii.Restoring the 1.5 high school Core Teacher additions (Enough for 0.5 per the three high schools)

iii.Partial restoration of $30K for UAS Auto Shop

iv.Middle School PTR (Pupil to Teacher Ratios) adjustments changed to match the actual

v.Most AVID $ restored (at $50K)

vi.Restored some $ into an Elementary position related to an Elementary Specialist

vii.Adjust one Health Assistant to a Nurse position

              1. only if a Health Assistant leaves by attrition

viii.Added a Student Services Coordinator position

              1. To assist with added interventions and multitude of duties associated with the Student Services Director position
              2. Questions about what this position will do and what credentials - not a lot of official details, Superintendent and cabinet working on fleshing out position expectations

ix.Added a 0.5 FTE to make the Montessori School Counselor full time at 1.0 FTE

b.                   Next Steps - make sure to testify to House, Senate, City

 .Great Alaska Schools does a lot of communicating opportunities to testify or rally together

c.                   Thanks to the BOE members (from Ed Becker) on dealing with these big issues

iii.Parent involvement/engagement

        1. What do people come to?

 .                     Sports (JDHS)

a.                   Course Request Nights (JDHS)

b.                   8th Grade Info Nights (JDHS)

c.                   High School parents are involved in what their own children need (TMHS)

 .Robotics, Drama

d.                   Grandparent lunches, pre-testing snacks (TMHS)

e.                   Sports and Activities boosters (TMHS)

f.                    Music Fest  - example is TMHS needing 13 parents to go on the Ferry

g.                   Housed out students

        1. Trouble getting parents to attend?

 .                     Parent Forums (JDHS depends on topics and weather)

a.                   Open House at (JDHS 10-20% of parents)

b.                   Parent-Teacher Conferences (JDHS depends on timing)

c.                   Parent Group at (JDHS Over time it has gotten to be a smaller group)

        1. Any trends over time in attendance?

 .                     Move to digital and less in-person

        1. How can we increase authentic parent engagement?

 .                     Question to what IS parent involvement?

a.                   Maybe move to weekly instead of daily bulletin

        1. Dan Larson - the digital parent involvement

 .                     Checking PowerSchool

a.                   High School parents are involved in what their own children need

        1. YDHS -

 .                     Parent and adult student phone calls via adviser

a.                   Invited to come in personally

b.                   Sundays with the 21st Century Grant - families coming in for the social opportunities

        1. Sean Cone insights

 .                     Look at less parent involvement as a success story due to lack of concern

iv.Question from Melissa McCormick on idea of Adulting Conference

 .                     Positive reception from YDHS students

a.                   JDHS Students like the idea in theory, but don’t know if they as individuals would have time for it

v.Shared course opportunities

        1. Current:

 .                     CTE: ETT (7th hour)

a.                   Computer Science (0 hour)

b.                   Educators Rising (0 hour)

        1. Future:

 .                     What are ways to identify potential shared courses?

 .Certain types of courses that might work better

              1. Independent/Coaching type courses
              2. Outside instructor courses
              3. Shared courses if work with schedules (YD and JD)

vi.Check the shared folder sent via Brenda Taylor for additional information

                6. Adjourn at 7:05pm


Thunder Mountain Site Council Meeting

December 6, 2018

Library

 

Members present:  Amber Frommherz, Shannon Kelly, Dan DeBartolo, Rain Hirst, Vaughn Hammond, Dan Larsen, Susan Martin, Michelle Strickley, Stefanie Wolter

 

Meeting began at 5:35pm

 

Student government - Rain spoke regarding the dress code.  The current code had language that is considered anti-girl.  There was a vote on the dress code today at lunch.  The revisions are similar to JD’s.  Once the student government accepts the changes the changes will be forwarded to the faculty.  It was suggested that the changes be shared with Kristin Bartlett.

The government is current organizing the Winterball, Spring Carnival and trying to create a list of the activities that are organized by the student government so that the students know what they do.

Susan Martin asked about adding more Tlingit verbiage to the school and Rain said that she will share that idea with the student government.

 

School Board – Dan DeBartolo said that the Spotlight at the next Board meeting would be Project 3 Square with a presentation by Adriene Schwartz.  At that same meeting the Board will accept the Gift of a Tlingit name for JDHS.  He expects that there will be more gifts in the future.  He said that there was support for Dr. Wiess to become the new superintendent but that the Board wants to ensure that they follow a voted-on process to make it official.  The Board meeting will be at 6pm in the TMHS library.

            There will be a FY19 Budget Revision reading at the work session at 4pm.  They have requested that the CBJ fund to the cap for FY19.  He mentioned that because the student count was high that they are going to ask for a new amount because the cap is higher.  Dan was not sure how the extra money would be distributed to the individual schools.

            They will be starting contract negations and hopefully reach a three-year contract with all three unions.

 

Principal Report – Dan Larson – The Robotics Team competed last week and will go to Regionals.  The Region 5 wresting tournament will be at TMHS this weekend and the qualifiers will go to state.  December 13th the women’s basketball team will be matched against East Anchorage.

            In February they will begin working on schedules for next year and in March will look at the projected enrollment numbers.

            There are eight new cameras in the school; he can see the video on his phone.  There is a total of 27 in the school.  Most are filming the hallways, restroom entrances and locker rooms.

            Finals Week will be the last week of school in December, there will be two periods a day for tests.

            They are working on a mini grant for a Mentor/Mentee program for their non-tenured teachers (9).  Master teachers (Marks, Night, and Northcutt) will work with the non-tenured during lunches and Dan will meet with them monthly.

            Course Fair – elective teachers will have some time to promote their classes

            Negotiations start December 17th with the Cabinet.  Dan is part of the team.

            Substitute issue – Tier 3 teachers have no incentive for not using their vacation/sick days because they won’t get paid for them and the pay for subs is very low.  Usually what happens is that the kids go to the commons or to the library.

            Five Year Plan – One priority is to replace the hardware, it is 11 years old and they have to buy parts on eBay.  Another priority is to get a speaker for the gym.  This is something that the Site Council can help fundraise for.  It was suggested that it be a Senior Class gift.

 

General comments – There will be a Mascot meeting on Monday.

 

Safe Grad – Vaughn is the chair of this group this year.

 

The next Site Council meeting will be January 10.

Meeting adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

ADA Compliance Errors 0